16 March 2009

Baptism by ice water


Saturday, March 14th, my baby Evelyn Lee Barker was baptized. It was not what we expected, you would think with the modern tech we have that everything would go great, Right? WRONG!!!!!

We started the morning OK, other than that I had procrastinated and was up at 2am finishing her programs and the house cleaning and the oil mess on the floor (See, "Can I Scream Now!!!"). I guess she was so excited for the day that Evelyn got up at 6:30 am. I tried to get her to go back to sleep but nope she wouldn't. Oh Well. about 12:15 we get to the church, we had to set up, Lyston and Elisabeth had already been up there earlier to start the water, it takes 3 hrs to fill the font. When we get there brothers Brady and Butler were already there. They had bad news! The water was ice cold. Lyston said that when he left the water was nice a warm just the way he was told to make it. Brother Brady asked Evelyn if she liked cold water, sure it's not bad, but this was! They drained out about 1/2 of the water, they thought they would at least refill it with all hot water. The hot water heater didn't want to cooperate, so they tried filling 4 large pots with water and boiling it on the stove to add. Evelyn says I can't believe they added any water to it it was still cold. they didn't want to add anymore cold water to it and get her too cold. I guess they didn't think that when she goes under it's not going to matter. The water only came up to just above her knees.

She was one of the lucky few that have to be dunked twice. The 1st time her dress wanted to float. The second time, my Mother in-law had to get up to leave, I think the cold coming off the water was bothering her. I had a hard time watching the second one knowing how cold the water was. The second time she flapped like a fish but the witnesses said she made it under. When she came out of the water her lips where blue and she was shivering all over. She has short hair so I didn't think we needed the blow drier from home but I was wrong I should have brought it to at least warm her up. Elisabeth was a great help she cleaned up the water in the hallway and brought Evelyn Daddy's big coat to wrap around her after she was changed. I told Evelyn you will remember this day for the rest of your life now because of the water being so cold. The rest of the baptism went off with out a hitch but come Sunday morning she was not feeling great she had a sore throat, which actually started right afterward, so she didn't make it to church to be welcomed in as the newest member of the ward. she has recovered now and is doing well.

My Brother's Fiance said it's much easier in the Methodist Church, "Just a sprinkle" That's OK Mallory, I will not trade my faith even if we have it rough sometimes.

Been there, Done that, but mine was warm not ice cold. Now Evelyn you have something to tell you children about your baptism.

No comments: