04 July 2010

Reading

As a child I learned to read just Like everyone else, well maybe like everyone else. I was always in the "special" reading group or class, you know the kids that went with another teacher to get help reading. Well I hated to read as a child, but now I can't get enough time to read. I have read all the Harry Potter books (my Favorite) at least twice some of them as many as 5 times. I have read Lord of the Rings series, the Narnia books all 4 of the Twilight Saga. I have even read all of James Herriots books.
I have a problem though as much as I like to read I can't bring myself to read my scriptures like I do every other book. (I'm LDS or Mormon and we have more that on Book of Scriptures. We believe the Book of Mormon and The Doctrine and Covenants to also be scriptures along side of Bible.) Over the years I have tried, I know I have read the whole set at least once in my life, but I have read Harry Potter more than once. I Love to read about history and stories of Hero;s how much more historical can you get. I love to hear the stories from the scriptures but I just can't read them the way I would like Does anyone have any ideas on how to over come this without being left on a deserted island with only my Quad (LDS Scriptures) for reading?

1 comment:

Torrie said...

I randomly just stopped by your blog and thought I'd post.

I've had a couple things that have worked for me; I think the biggest thing that helped the scriptures to come alive for me was to gain a "birds-eye" view of the Book of Mormon. What I mean by that is to find a way to put the entire Book of Mormon in chronological perspective. Luckily for me, I had a mission president who did this for us---he took us through the entire "plotline" of the Book of Mormon in about an hour, and it really changed the way I viewed the stories because I finally understood where everything fit.

Another thing I like to do is read some scripture helps alongside the verses to see what prophets and apostles or even historians have said about particular verses---I like the Institute manual for the BOM or even the kid-friendly Book of Mormon that comes with pictures and definitions of unfamiliar words. I wish I could remember what exactly that edition is called, because I loved it (and not just as a kid).

Anyway, what helps most of all is really just to devote time and energy into really studying the scriptures (and to always pray before reading). Check out Preach My Gospel Ch. 2 for even more ideas.

Anyway, happy reading! Glad I stopped by :)