20 November 2008

Running with the Deer

Every day I drive through the country… well actually I live the in Shenandoah Valley right outside the city of Harrisonburg… But back to my country… I see a lot of different animals… Cows being the most prominent … Have you ever noticed that when it is going to rain the smart cows will lay down to keep a patch of earth dry for themselves, but these are the same animal that don’t mind standing in poop either so go figure… I also see birds lots of different ones especially now that it is getting colder and they are migrating… there is one that is standing in the middle of this pond in the middle of a cow field everyday when I pull out of the school lot in the morning… I can’t get close enough to it but it looks to be some type of Herron or Crane… But this morning I got to experience the most wonderful thing I have in a while… I was driving down the road and about one quarter of mile in front of me I saw a deer cross the road into a old corn field on the left side… from that distance I could not tell whether it was a doe or a buck… as I got closer to where it entered the field I saw that it was indeed a buck with either 4 or 6 points… about that time it was spooked by the bus and started to run… the path that it took was parallel with the road that I was driving … the field was about eye level for me sitting elevated on the bus… what happened next I don’t think there is any way for me to describe it … the buck and I where racing together at the same speed … I could see the muscles contract and flex as he ran and run with such a beautiful graceful motion… I could also see the look in his eye as he realized that there was no danger… then he decided to head for the trees where he would be even safer… I have always loved to see deer but this was the first time that I got to run with one and watch how it’s body work together… God has truly made some beautiful animals and I think that the Virginia White Tail Deer is one of them.

1 comment:

rich and steph said...

How fun and cool:) Love it!!!