29 May 2009

Activity days/ Journaling

On Wednesday nights I am the Activity day Girls leader. This is a fun job and I love each one of the girls in my group of which I have 13. But sadly 4 of them including my daughter are moving on to Young Women's this year.

On Wednesday night I planned an activity on journaling, something that all of us should be doing. I have a group of girls from just turned 8 to right at 12 so I have to make my activities fun for all (not always an easy task) But this night I had fun showing the girls my journals. No I'm not the perfect person who write every day or even once a week but i do have a pretty thick book full of my different journals. We talked about the different ways you can journal. The old fashion way with pen and paper or now you can type into a computer, you can save it on a blog or just as a program on the computer, I have both. Some of my girls scrapbook and I told them that was a way of journaling, especially if you write captions of what was happening in the pictures. I also know that some teacher in school will have you write a report on yourself or even on a family member, I have had to do both in the past. I have kept those and keep them with my journal. If I wrote a report on a family member or someone special in my life I gave them a copy to keep with there journals.

I had some girls complain that they didn't like reading journals (I can't imagine why?) but then I told them that at least once a week they read from some one journal and i bet they didn't know it... they all say "no we don't, unless our school teacher make us" I then asked them if they read from the scriptures at least once a week and they answered yes. And I answered back I told you that you read from a journal at least once a week the Scriptures where a journal for the prophet of person whom wrote in them. After that they couldn't wait to start there journals.

I had picked up at the store a composition book for each one of them ($1 each),a pen and then I printed up a list of about 50 prompts to help them get started, because they are like me they don't want to write about the same old boring thing they do everyday. (this morning I got up went to school then came home then had dinner, Etc, Etc, Etc.) so i made up some good ones like: My Favorite desserts and why? What do I do in the summer time? Describe my room, What is your favorite story from the B of M? etc.they loved that they didn't have to write the same old thing down. They cut these prompts up into strips and placed them in an envelope that they taped to the notebook. So if they had free time and wanted to write but couldn't think of something interesting to write about they could just pull out a slip and begin there.
They where so happy and excited, I hope they keep working n them and start a good habit.

Well on the way home I decided I needed to work on my journal writing too. So I tool one of the left over notebooks and started my own. so if over the next couple of months you see any weird topics i might have just pulled out a slip of paper and started writing.

3 comments:

Mary said...

I love journaling!!! Guess that's why I am a blogging FOOL as well.....

Mom of Esquared said...

I love history and the only way we can remember our own is to write it down.

rich and steph said...

That is so cool and I love that the girls got into it by the end. I also like that you gave them strips of paper with topics. I used to write i ate, i slept, etc. Boring!