12 January 2009

Craving Nuts

Do you know what Filberts or Nu-Nuts are? If you are allergic to tree nuts you better they are Hazelnut (Filberts) and Nu-Nuts are peanuts that have been de-flavored and re-flavored with a nut like pecan or walnut.

What is Glanduja? This is a nut past that is found in imported chocolates. German and most good European chocolates have a hazelnut paste in them, that is what makes them So GOOD!

I have a daughter that is allergic to Tree Nuts, now you might think that means she can't have peanuts, don't worry you aren't alone, everyone thinks this. But Peanuts are NOT tree nuts they grow underground not in trees, she can eat all the peanuts she wants. But! Tree nuts are in just about everything from BBQ sauce, cereals, cracker, ice cream and chocolate. With this allergy she has to carefully watch what she eats especially when it comes to desserts and most chocolate that comes from over seas like German and Swiss, the best in the world. I have to read every label that is brought into the house to make sure it is OK for her to have if not I have to tell her and then usually I will put it in my secret hiding place for myself. Until she was diagnosed, around the age of 2, with this allergy I didn't like nuts, I would eat them if they where in the brownies or cookies but I really didn't care if they where there or not, and all the recipes that I had that said nuts optional I never included them. Well now I have nut cravings, I can't past a pecan without my mouth watering, and cashews are my biggest cravings. We try to keep a nut free house, which is hard considering that my family is the biggest bunch of nuts I've ever seen.

Been there, done that, and still reading and learning about Nuts.

1 comment:

rich and steph said...

That is hard!! But I bet my family is nuttier than yours:~