24 January 2009

My Love and Secret Life.

I am an avid reader, but at one time I admit there were several books I swore I would never read. "I hated Harry Potter!" I believed it was full of witchcraft and I wasn't going to bring it into my home. I was even thinking of trying to get it band from the schools, but thought I can control what my children read but I shouldn't take away that right for others.

The change came one day when Lyston, who was working at R.R. Donnelley (book printing & binding company) brought home a copy of the book the company had just printed, "HP and the Order of the Phoenix." I couldn't believe he would bring it home knowing my thoughts on the book series; he said it was a give away and anyway what could he do about a freebie?

The book sat for a while, until I was bored one afternoon and was looking for a quick read. I decided to check it out, I thought I can't be against something that I have not really tried to understand, isn't that what the missionaries put up with every day? The first Chapter piqued my interest; 4 chapters into the book, I had to know what came before. So I went out, bought the four preceding books and spent the next week immersed in the Wizarding World. I've been hooked ever since.

I was at the last two midnight book release parties and have been to the midnight showings of the last two movies. I was interviewed for our local paper for the last and finial Book release. I have dressed up as a Loony Luna Lovegood, and Molly Weasely. I have even made a portable clock similar to Molly's described in the books, it tells where her family is, either school, work, traveling or mortal peril, there is a hand for each member of the family. I have radish earrings and a necklace with Butter Beer caps on it. I have also made wands for myself and my two girls. I love Bertie Bots Ever Flavor Beans, including grass flavor, but I try to stay away from the boogie and vomit flavors. I even love trying to do magic spells, the only one that works for me is the Alohomora the unlocking spell, and only on my car not other peoples.

I know that I am a little on the crazy side for liking Harry but I can tell you that he changed my life and my daughters they both are following in my footsteps and love to read about him. I just started the series over again for about the 6th time.

Been there, Read that, and still love Harry more than Edward.

1 comment:

rich and steph said...

Oh you did not just say you love Harry more than Edward!!!!! Shame on you:) That is funny about how you got into the books. Same way I got into Twilight. I want to see pics of the stuff you have made and you dressed up. Next time I lock my keys in the car I am calling you to do the spell over the phone:) The earrings sound awesome!!! We would be in such trouble if lived close to each other:) We would spend too much time in fantasy world or making things for the fantasy world!