10 December 2008

Fire in the Sky

I am one of the fortunate people that get up before the sun, which means I get to watch it rise. my two favorite times of day are sunrise and sunset. Now you know that everyone of them is different but not every one is beautiful or spectacular, there are average sunrises or sunsets. Well today I got the rare opportunity to see a beautiful sunrise. I was driving the bus (as always) when I noticed what appeared to be a fire. The more I looked at it the more I noticed that it was not a fire but the sun coming up. It set the sky on fire. I was reminded of the old saying that my Grandfather, a seaman himself, taught to me “Red sky at night, sailor’s delight. Red sky in morning, sailor’s warning." Well I should have known that we would have a sunless day, but it made me curious as to whether the saying was true or not. So I looked up online what it meant and here is what I found out.

Red sky in morning, sailor’s warning. A red sunrise reflects the dust particles of a system that has just passed from the west. This indicates that a storm system may be moving to the east. If the morning sky is a deep fiery red, it means a high water content in the atmosphere. So, rain is on its way.

Red sky at night, sailors delight.
When we see a red sky at night, this means that the setting sun is sending its light through a high concentration of dust particles. This usually indicates high pressure and stable air coming in from the west. Basically good weather will follow.

So according to this we should have had a bad day for weather, which we did no sun and rain. We should also have a good weather for tomorrow, but the weather man says otherwise, he is telling us that we are in for some more of the same and maybe snow too.

I love looking at sunrises and sunsets they remind me that Heavenly Father is a wonderful artist. The color pallet he uses is of the finest quality. He has the Deepest Reds and the most Beautiful Blues. My challenge is the next time you find yourself up early run out and watch the sunrise, it WILL brighten your day.

Been There, Done That, and have the Pictures

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the coolest! My dad taught me the same quote and I have said it all my life...That is so cool that we both do that. I love your appreciation of the sunrise and sunsets. They are my favorite! My dad always told me to always remember, above the clouds the sun is always shining. So today, in our torrential downpours I kept telling myself it was liquid sunshine!

rich and steph said...

Arizona has the most beautiful sunsets. Google it sometime-they are beautiful!!!