30 December 2008

Resolutions

I don't like to make New Years resolutions, since I end up breaking them before I get through the 1st week of the year. So this year I decided that I wanted to try something new. Sunday at church listed in the bulletin was 4 resolutions that I thought I would try. I thought they sounded familiar so I looked them up online at LDS.org and found them in an Ensign article from 1994. So I'm going to share some of it here, my thoughts are in RED.

Resolution
1- I resolve to expand my intellectual horizons, to increase in wisdom. (D&C 88:118; D&C 90:15). What we choose to read will make a huge difference in the development of our minds and character. I have never really had a problem with this, I love to read now that I don't have to read.

2- I will be resolute in preserving and strengthening my physical health. It is impressive that more than 160 years ago the Lord revealed a health code, the Word of Wisdom, that can make all the difference in how we feel and perform. With good health, we can be happier and more successful. Without it, we are curtailed in almost every way. I do have a problem with this I have had problems my whole life, luckily for me I don't have health problems that go with it. I plan on memorizing D&C 89

3- I resolve to be a truer friend and to become more socially acceptable to people of high standards. I can be more open with myself and push myself to walk up to strangers to introduce myself.
  • Become genuinely interested in other people.
  • Smile. (Remember, the Lord commands us to “be of good cheer.”)
  • Remember that a person’s name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language.
  • Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.
  • Talk in terms of the other person’s interests.
  • Make the other person feel important—and do it sincerely.

4- I will grow spiritually—I will increase in favor with God. This will be my biggest challenge, this past year I have really tried to not do this, believe it or not I have not succeeded in it. I have tried to prove to myself that Heavenly Father does not care about me but he just keeps getting in the way, so now I guess that it is time from me to try it his way.
  • resolve to overcome as much as possible the sin of pride.
  • Resolve now that you will read from the scriptures daily.
  • resolve to really pray and not just say prayers.
  • remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy
I have decided that these will be my Resolutions this coming year, and if I fall I can start over again every Sunday when I partake of the sacrament. I also know that my wonderful friends will also help me by reminding me.

Taken from Dec 1994 Ensign article by Elder Joe J. Christensen
Of the Presidency of the Seventy

4 comments:

rich and steph said...

That is an awesome New Year's resolution and one that you can work on bit by bit. Love it!!

Mom of The Fields Fam Five said...

It is funny how we are on the same wave length here. Those resolutions are so powerful. They can not only bless your life but the simple changes you make will be felt by everyone around you. In essence, you will become that beacon in night that will lead others to safety. Girl, can I join you.....

Mom of Esquared said...

Come on and join me Jill we will keep each other on track. Stephanie you can come too, if you need to. Love ya both I'm just so glad I found you both again. Prayers and Blessings for the New Year to both of you.

rich and steph said...

I am with you 2 all the way:) This year has been great for me finding you 2 again and reconnecting. I am crying as I write this as I feel so blessed by Heavenly Father. And as Mary B. says, people are not placed in path at certain times on accident. I truly believe that!! So come on girls-we can do it and more!!!